About Geography Department
The Department of Geography was established in the Year 1959.On 19th August, 1959, the department was started with ‘Commercial Geography’ as one of the subject of Pre-University (PU) Course .Prof. Tirtha Nath Borkataky was the founder Head and the lone faculty in the department till the opening of the degree course. This department was upgraded to a Degree Department in the year 1961 and in 1962 Honours (now Core) Course was started. The subject was taught in both Arts & Science streams. From the session1984-85. PG Course was started under Gauhati University. The laboratories of the Department have been recognized by Gauhati University for carrying out Ph. D. research in 1990.
Geography department has received the financial assistance from DST, Govt. of India under its `Fund for Infrastructure development in science &Technology in Higher Educational Institution (FIST)programme. The department has also been receiving financial assistance from the UGC since 2008-09 under the scheme `Rejuvenation of Basic Scientific research in Indian University /PG colleges’.